Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Memorial Day Reflection: May They Know Only Peace

I've never been the mom who tears up at each milestone.  Gender-revealing ultrasounds, first view of my sons' faces, first steps, first day at daycare, etc.  Each came with a mix of emotions, but no tears. Sometimes, I would wonder if I didn't have a strong enough connection with my boys...certainly I should be at least misty-eyed at these momentous times...right?

On Memorial Day, though, something really touched me.

As I stood behind a booming marching band playing our national anthem as the American flag was raised just across the street, I got tears in my eyes.  As I held my youngest son at shoulder height - letting him see over the sea of blue-capped marchers, it hit me.  My eyes brimmed with tears, and I didn't dare look at anyone, lest they spill over.

My family has been abundantly blessed.  I had to dig through generations of photos to find a tribute for Memorial Day.  Not since World War Two, has my family had to endure a loved one not return from their military service.  So many other family can't say that.  So many -  husbands, wives, mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, children - bear the raw wounds of learning to live each day without a loved one by their side.

As I listened to the building volume of the Star Spangled Banner, I hugged my two year old a little closer.  I said a prayer that as he grows, he, his friends, and all the others of his generation will not need to know the fear and uncertainty of terrorism, that they will have no need for war or violence.  I prayed that there comes a time that Memorial Day is for remembering those who served long ago, and no new names are added to the lists of those who didn't return home from their military service.

It's been proven that signing with infants, toddlers, and preschoolers gives them enhanced language abilities once they reach school.  May they use their jump-start on communication and their enhanced language skills to peacefully catapult our world into the future.  We tell them now "use your words."  May that sentiment remain with them as adults who use words rather than fists and guns to solve problems large and small!




16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Laura! It's a prayer I've prayed all too often as terrible, scary things happen in this world - and one I won't stop praying until it's fulfilled!

      Delete
  2. I agree, it would be a wonderful world if we could be a peace with ourselves, our friends/neighbors, co-workers, and on and on. So today I will try in my worl to make this come to pass. Thanks for sharing. Visiting from I Choose Joy Link Up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! This is, unfortunately a prayer I have prayed all too often - as scary, unthinkable things happen in this world. Thank you for doing your part to make a change!

      Delete
  3. "May they only know peace" Great thoughts! I'm curious about the people in the photo. Who are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The picture is the great uncle I had to dig for. He was, sadly, killed during WWII, so even my father never had the chance to meet him. I know his name is John, and we think this was taken during a visit home on leave. He's standing with my great grandmother. Unfortunately, I don't know much more than that about him. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Found your post from Best of Weekend party link up. I have similar experience here about Anzac Day in Australia. I didn't grow up in Australia, but I atttended the Anzac Day service since it was very important for my daughter who was born an Australian. As I sat through the service, I couldn't help tearing up as the audience remembered those who died in the war and how pointless it was in the first place. Your article touched me. Thank you for sharing.

    Veronika | Tickled Pink Confetti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your story, Veronika. I so hope this new generation is the one who will put wars behind us! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing this lovely post with us at Good Morning Mondays. It is so good to remember those who fought for us and lost their lives. It is good also for our children to understand this as well. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I hope that our children learn about these kinds of things so well, that they are motivated to do things differently!

      Delete
  6. Very nice sentiment. Thank you for sharing with us at Merry Monday. Please stop by for the new party beginning Sunday night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for hosting such a lovely link up!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by and for hosting such a lovely link up!

      Delete
  7. Here from Merry Monday.
    Your post touched my heart. That's my prayer too. Words, not war.
    I taught my grand daughter a few signs before she could talk. How wonderful that she could communicate, without the screaming fits of rage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Signs are such a blessing before spoken words take over, and there's lots of great reasons to keep signing (or start if you haven't yet!) once kids are older too. I so hope their super communication skills don't dwindle as they grow older!

      Delete
    2. Signs are such a blessing before spoken words take over, and there's lots of great reasons to keep signing (or start if you haven't yet!) once kids are older too. I so hope their super communication skills don't dwindle as they grow older!

      Delete