Saturday, March 8, 2014

Honing your "Detective Eyes"

One of the Keys to Signing Smart success involves recognizing your child's signs.  We, almost innately, anticipate that our little ones' first words will not sound exactly like adult speech.  Much the same way, their early signs will not look exactly like the picture in the dictionary.  This, sometimes, requires us to do a little detective work to understand what we're being told.  Like so many other things, practice makes perfect.

Below is a video clip of my 12 month old.  He'd like to read his current favorite books and can't get them out of the box.  He points (THIS) several times, and there is another quick sign right at the end of the clip.  What do you think he's signing??





I'd like to make this an on-going series of pictures and videos.  As I'm able to catch my boys signing (they don't tend to be terribly cooperative as soon as the camera comes out), I'll share some with you.  If you have pictures or videos of your little one signing that you'd like to share, please let me know.  I'd love to include a variety of young signers to help you practice!




1 comment: